Over the years legendary investors like Benjamin Graham, Warren Buffett, Charlie Munger, Peter Lynch, and others have delivered us timeless investment quotes.
The best investing advice should be easy to understand and stand the test of time. Even though these financial quotes are from some of the most intelligent people on Wall Street, the concepts are quite simple.
Here are 35 timeless investing quotes for success:
Investment Quotes by Great ivestment Investors
1) “Rule #1: Don’t lose money. Rule #2: Don’t forget Rule #1.” – Warren Buffett
2) “Buy not on optimism, but on arithmetic.” – Benjamin Graham
3) “Minimizing downside risk while maximizing the upside is a powerful concept.” – Mohnish Pabrai
4) “Spend each day trying to be a little wiser than you were when you woke up.” – Charlie Munger
5) “The desire to perform all the time is usually a barrier to performing over time.” – Robert Olstein
6) “Risk comes from not knowing what you’re doing.” – Warren Buffett
7) “If we buy the business as a business and not as a stock speculation, then it becomes personal. I want it to be personal.” – Phil Town
8) “We don’t have an analytical advantage, we just look in the right place.” – Seth Klarman
9) “No wise pilot, no matter how great his talent and experience, fails to use his checklist.” – Charlie Munger
10) “I love quotes… but in the end, knowledge has to be converted to action or it’s worthless.” – Tony Robbins
11) “It is impossible to produce superior performance unless you do something different from the majority.” – John Templeton
12) “The secret to investing is to figure out the value of something – and then pay a lot less.” Joel Greenblatt
13) “It is remarkable how much long term advantage people like us have gotten by trying to be consistently not stupid, instead of trying to be very intelligent.” – Charlie Munger
14) “Behind every stock is a company. Find out what it’s doing.” – Peter Lynch
15) “Wide diversification is only required when investors do not understand what they are doing.” – Warren Buffett
16) “Based on my own personal experience – both as an investor in recent years and an expert witness in years past – rarely do more than three or four variables really count. Everything else is noise.” – Martin Whitman
17) “Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it. He who doesn’t, pays it.” – Albert Einstein
18) “I will tell you how to become rich. Close the doors, be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful.” – Warren Buffett
19) The individual should act consistently as an investor and not as a speculator.” Benjamin Graham
20) “The entrance strategy is actually more important than the exit strategy.” – Edward Lampert
21) “In many ways, the stock market is like the weather in that if you don’t like the current conditions all you have to do is wait a while.” – Low Simpson
22) “The ability to focus attention on important things is a defining characteristic of intelligence.” – Robert J. Shiller
23) “Invest for the long-term.” – Lou Simpson
24) “Rapidly changing industries are the enemy of the investor.” – Mohnish Pabrai
25) “The easiest way to manage your money is to take it one step at a time and not worry about being perfect.” – Ramit Sethi
26) “The stock market is filled with individuals who know the price of everything, but the value of nothing.” – Phillip Fisher
27) “Although it’s easy to forget sometimes, a share is not a lottery ticket… it’s part ownership of a business.” – Peter Lynch
28) “All intelligent investing is value investing. Acquiring more that you are paying for. You must value the business in order to value the stock.” – Charlie Munger
29) “The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient.” – Warren Buffett
30) “When it comes to investing, we want our money to grow with the highest rates of return, and the lowest risk possible. While there are no shortcuts to getting rich, there are smart ways to go about it.” – Phil Town
31) “How many millionaires do you know who have become wealthy by investing in savings accounts? I rest my case.” – Robert G. Allen
32) “You get recessions, you have stock market declines. If you don’t understand that’s going to happen, then you’re not ready, you won’t do well in the markets.” – Peter Lynch
33) “The four most dangerous words in investing are: ‘this time it’s different.’” – Sir John Templeton
34) “Investing puts money to work. The only reason to save money is to invest it.” – Grant Cardone
35) “Wise spending is part of wise investing. And it’s never too late to start.” – Rhonda Katz
These investors and “Fathers of Rule #1 Investing” provide us with timeless knowledge in the form of these investment quotes and a great foundation for great investing. Did I miss any of your favorites?
If you’re looking for more tips that will teach you how to invest with certainty get this free eBook that contains all of the advice from the world’s greatest investors.
Featured Photo Credit: Stuart Isett/Fortune Most Powerful Women/Flickr, used under a Creative Commons license.
Ready to learn more about investing?
You may also enjoy these related articles:
Phil Town is an investment advisor, hedge fund manager, 3x NY Times Best-Selling Author, ex-Grand Canyon river guide, and former Lieutenant in the US Army Special Forces. He and his wife, Melissa, share a passion for horses, polo, and eventing. Phil’s goal is to help you learn how to invest and achieve financial independence.