This week we analyze what has happened in the year since Amazon and Whole Foods merged. We made a few predictions about what would happen, and today we want to discuss them.
In Episode 192 You’ll Learn:
- What is good investing?
- You have to be thinking long-term when everyone, including our own emotions are thinking short term.
- Discovering that you can find great companies on sale if you are willing to be patient.
- Good investing is knowing that you’re going to make money, but you don’t really know when.
- What has Amazon done with Whole Foods after purchasing it?
- They’ve cut their prices causing sales to go up.
- They give discounts to Amazon Prime Members and deliver Whole Foods through Amazon Prime.
- Not the same atmosphere in the store as before.
- Stock prices for both Kroger and Sprouts immediately dropped an enormous amount of value, but have managed to recover.
- Key questions you have to ask yourself before you buy.
- Is this going to be a bigger and more productive business in 10 years?
- Do you understand that business, does it reflect your values?
- Do we understand the management team that is running in this business?
- How does this business protect itself from competition if we are expecting it to be around in 10 years?
Danielle and Phil Recommend:
- Businessinsider.com article about Whole Foods CEO John Mackey.